How to install journy.io on your domain(s)



journy.io supports both a simple and advanced tracking process to track visitors on your (different) domain(s).

Most analytics software uses a 'roughly enough' approach to analysing visits. If 30% is being blocked by ad blockers, Apple's ITP or Firefox ETP, they assume the remaining 70% to be representable enough to give you an idea of how your various campaigns and channels are performing.

For journy.io, being in the business of tracking visitors, leads and customers... not just visits nor devices, 'roughly enough' is NOT enough. We therefor have developed the advance tracking process (ATP) to provide a 99%+ much higher tracking potential on your domains.

Whether customers decide to implement our simple or advanced tracking process, journy.io remains committed to fully comply to the European General Data Protections Regulation (GDPR) and will not track its customers' visitors without their explicit given consent! journy.io's Data Processing Agreement with its customers guarantees proper use of visitor data.
In general, you will use our simple tracking process to have a quick feeling of journy.io workings by only integrating the 'simple' snippet on your domain pages. Substantial traffic will be blocked.
Advanced tracking process requires you to also add an entry in your Domain Name Service —a CNAME in your DNS— and place another snippet onto your domain pages. 99%+ of all traffic will be tracked.

Tracking a domain.

Any tracking process will start by providing a domain to your journy.io account. Please log in as admin and select your business setting under your profile menu.



Now you can either hover over an existing domain and click the 'edit domain' button; or press 'add domain' to add a new domain.

Simple tracking process.

When you add a new domain, you will find following fields and options:
* Domain: This is the top-level domain you want to track. It consist of just 2 parts, separated by a dot ('.') Example: site.com. journy.io does not support the tracking of subdomains only.
* Use advanced tracking: This switch indicates whether you will be using simple or advanced tracking process. For simple tracking, leave this off.
* Identify users with URL parameter? This switch allows you to identify journeys based on a provided URL parameter. For more information, visit Identifying journeys, using ID Scores, URL Parameters and JavaScript



When you're finished providing a domain, press "update domain" and a new window will appear with the simple snippet. Clicking on the text will copy its content to the clipboard, for you to paste it in Google Tag Manager or other <head> section space.



P.S. As you can see, the snippet uses references to our general journy.app domain. Something that eventually will be detected and blocked by ad blockers. A better way to tracking is to implement our Advance Tracking Process.

Advanced tracking process.

By switching on the Use advanced tracking option switch in the domain modal window, more fields will be revealed:
* Tracking subdomain: This is the subdomain you will have to add to your DNS. It is a CNAME level-1 subdomain which is pointing to our own tracking subdomain, yet that will be used to do advanced tracking of non-html pages and third-party URLs, on top of placing own-domain-http-based cookies.



Fill in the desired subdomain name which you will reference in the DNS. Please keep it short and easy to remember and use. E.g. track.site.com; journy.site.com; atp.site.com; run.site.com...
track.site.com. CNAME tracking.journy.io TTL=600
When you've finished to add the CNAME to your DNS, press verify to check if journy.io is able to access the subdomain. Keep repeating this process until positive verification.

When pressing "Update domain", a new snippet window will appear, this time with reference to your own domain.



For the Advanced Tracking Process (ATP) to be best performing, we highly recommend you to place the snippet DIRECTLY(!) onto your html page <body> section, and rather NOT(!) through Google Tag Manager (GTM), Adobe Dynamic Tag Manager, Segment, or any other tag management system. While using the latter will not harm tracking, putting the snippet natively onto your html page <body> section will allow you to circumvent Ad Blocking technologies.

The Advanced Tracking Process allows for much more than just a better tracking mechanism. The tracking URL can be used to track non-html pages as well as 3rd party external URLs such as youtube videos. For more information, please visit Using URL Query Parameters and the advanced tracking URL.
Was this article helpful?
Cancel
Thank you!